Thursday, July 25, 2013

Classroom Organization 2


        I have really been thinking about how the students will interact and move around my room. They each have a desk, of course. These desks are arranged in groups of five. This allows for plenty of table discussion and group work. I have a large area at the front of the classroom for whole group lessons. I have a round table for small group instruction. I have a small rectangular table that could seat 3 or 4 students for some independent group meetings. I have a few areas in the room where partners could meet comfortably (by the back supply cabinets, in the library area, on the floor by my desk, and in front of the book bag hooks. So, I certainly have many areas for students to meet and work.

    I have also been thinking about how students will complete extension activities when they finish the main lesson component. I have a shelf at the front that contains all of the writing supplies. If a student gets up to go to the shelf, they shouldn't really disturb others. It is a straight shot there and back. If a student needs to get a book from any the library areas they are all arranged on the outside walls of the classroom. This allows them to locate a book quickly and return to their seats. Again, not really located where they would be disturbing other students. If a student is going to complete a PETS (higher order thinking skill) activity then those bins are right beside my small group area. Close enough to be supervised, yet, not close enough to interrupt the flow of my group. Finally, if a student is completing a math, science, or social studies follow on activity then they walk to the back of the room (to a shelf located right beside the door). This area is not in proximity to any other student desks. For the first time in my twelve years of teaching, I actually think that my room arrangement allows for students to independently collect materials and get back work without bothering anyone else. It must be a miracle! Now, I just have to make sure that they don't bother anyone on the way to those areas and back.

Now I just wonder how do students move around other classrooms? What tricks have other teachers learned about room arrangement and classroom organization?

TGT

No comments:

Post a Comment